Fiery Cider

Misty's Fiery Cider
This is one of my most favorite recipes for staying warm in the winter time. It can boost your immune system  too, as well as it tastes kinda like Heaven. I call my version fiery cider at least for now. It has been a recipe herbalist have been tweaking for a very long time. Everyone has their own spin on it. I have seen some of the most interesting fiery ciders recipes! This is definitely a recipe to make your own and have fun with. 

I first learned about this delicious recipe from Rosemary Gladstar. I am currently attending her home study course, Art and Science of Herbalism. Her book, Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health, was my very first medicinal herb book and it is a sight to see now. With all of its dog eared pages and worn edges you can tell it has been my favorite for a long time. There are recipes in the book called Fire Cider Zest and Hair Raising Cider. I made the Fire Cider Zest and fell in love! There are also tons of recipes online for different takes on this herbal classic. This is mine:

Before straining
Misty's Fiery Cider
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup grated horseradish
  • 1/4 cup grated ginger
  • 1/8 cup chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons  dried turmeric (I use fresh if I can find it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (sometimes more)
  • 9 or so pieces of astragalus root
  • Heaping amount of whatever peppers I can find (these in the pictures are habanero)
  • Enough apple cider vinegar to cover
  • Honey to taste
You can use extras like ginseng, rosemary, burdock, anything you find tasty! I have seen some recipes with fresh fruit!

Straining all the good stuff!

You throw everything in a quart jar and cover it with the AC vinegar. Throw the lid on and let it sit for about 4 to 6 weeks. Shake it everyday to mix it up a bit. When it's ready your strain it through some cheese cloth or muslin and add some honey to sweeten it up. It is so yummy on pretty much everything. I also find that if you can feel the start of a cold come on you can take a quick shot of it and it packs a punch to those cold bugs not to mention will clear your sinuses! 

There has been some issue this year with the name "fire cider". Like I mentioned earlier it has been used for a very long time by pretty much everyone. Lots of people tend to trace it back to Rosemary and she to her grandmother, but there are so many other recipes for apple cider vinegar mixed with honey and herbs/spices that have been around for years. The beginning of this year there was a company that trademarked the name "fire cider" so none of the small herbalist who sell small batches of their own blend could use the name anymore. It is sad and there is a grassroots movement happening here at Free Fire Cider. Check it out, read Rosemary's story and her ideas on how to make it right, support the movement if it calls to you but most importantly go make your own!!
However I will take this opportunity to shamelessly push my products! If you have no desire to make your own I do sell mine on my Facebook page under the photo album Wild Heart Herbals. It is a public album so everyone can see it. I should probably work on getting something a little more professional but not sure I am ready for that yet! Baby steps!

Comments

  1. This sounds heavenly. Makes me wish I could have peppers. My Sjogren's makes that impossible, but I may experiment. Suggestions welcomed. Maybe we could come up with an "Ember Cider" version. Not as much heat but still smoldering for us wimps who can't handle the peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you like ginger? You can make that the smolder ;) Turmeric helps with inflammation so it may help you too! If you can find fresh that is best but good ol' powdered dried turmeric!! You can probably add some other anti inflammatory herbs that might help too! Oh the possibilities!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nettles, The Heart Opener

Herbalist in the Big City

Raising Wild Children