Cocoa Dirts aka Adaptogen Pills

When I was learning how to make herbal pills I had an idea that came together deliciously! Made with two of my favorite adaptogens and chocolate so there is a lot to love! 


So adaptogens are herbs that help us deal with the stresses of life. Stress from working too hard or too long, stressful moments life throws our way, stress of illness, stress of loss...for ANY stress these herbs will come in handy! They help us cope, maintain wellness, and keep moving.

I make these for my dad who works swing shift in his 60s and he swears by them! So does my mom since he stops falling asleep all the time and they can actually go do things on his days off. He is the one who loving calls them "Cocoa Dirts" because that is what he thinks they taste like. My own husband loves them too and will pass them out at work on a hard day.

Herbal pills are messy fun to make! Here is my recipe:


COCOA DIRTS
  • 1 oz. Ashwagandha powder
  • 1 oz. Eleuthro powder aka Siberian Ginseng
  • 2.5 oz. cocoa powder (I used Hershey's here but feel free to use any beautiful cocoa you like)
  • about 5 T honey
  • Sometimes I used 3 drops of peppermint essential oil to the final batch of dough but it is not necessary.

    I mix all the powders and cocoa together and then start slowly mixing in the honey. I start with a spoon but eventually get my hands in there. It forms a shiny, sticky (but not too sticky) dough.

     
    I pinch off the desired size which usually gets bigger as I go. Tinier pills take forever!
     

    Then I dip them in a little more cocoa powder and roll them into the shape I want.
     

    Put them in the dehydrator or a very low temp oven until dry.
     
     
    I usually take around 2 a day and feel great!!

    A note on adaptogens: We as a society push ourselves to the breaking point to make a living or because that is what we think it takes to be of value. Because what would we be if not "BUSY". That is the worst 4 letter word! When taking these wonderful plant medicines ask yourself the reason you take them. Make sure it is worth it in your heart to push so hard. I am making this batch for my dad and my brother and me. I am preparing for my surgery and I know these will help me snap back to normal quicker and help me to remember self care. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Feel free to use and to make your own spins on it.

    Love Yourself!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nettles, The Heart Opener

Herbalist in the Big City

Raising Wild Children